DROS Requirements for WBT
PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE PAGE!
DROS stands for Dealer Record Of Sale. It's the background check for California gun purchases. It also manages the 10 day wait and registers the gun to you upon pick up. Its managed by the CA Department of Justice. More info can be found here: https://oag.ca.gov/firearms
If you choose to complete the DROS/Pick Up at our San Diego, CA location, you must do so in person, and be present at both the start and end of the 10 day wait. Nothing can be done remotely. If driving to San Diego is not feasible, we can simply ship your firearm(s) to another gun store near you. Also, be advised; We must have your firearm at our store to start the DROS. No exceptions. We must also have ALL the required documents at the start.
Once the 10 day wait is up, you must return within the 20 day window (Day 10 thru Day 30) to receive your firearm or it will require the process to start over. The DROS wait period is actually (10) 24 hour periods. This means its to the exact minute for release. Plan accordingly.
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR ALL RIFLES, SHOTGUNS & PISTOLS:
YOU MUST HAVE THESE DOCUMENTS IN HAND TO START THE DROS. WE WILL NOT MAKE ANY EXCEPTIONS FOR YOU!
A valid, unexpired California issued identification card or driver’s license.
(YOU MUST PRESENT THE ACTUAL CARD, NO COPIES OR INTERIM DOCUMENTS WILL BE ACCEPTED)
For Active Duty Military, you will need your CAC and a copy of your orders. You must be stationed in CA. NO TDY/TAD!
If you have a “Federal Limits Apply” ID or DL, you must also present proof of citizenship such as a valid passport or birth certificate. Please check this page from California DOJ for further guidance:
If your address is INCORRECT on the CA ID or DL, you MUST provide an additional valid government issued document with your name and your correct address before we can submit the DROS.
- DMV Vehicle Registration (Must be Current)
- Guard Card/Firearms Card
- Fishing/Hunting License
- Municipal utility bill (MUST BE ACTUAL GOVERNMENT RUN, NO PRIVATE COMPANIES SUCH AS: SDG&E, PG&E, HELIX WATER OR OTHER PRIVATE COMPANIES. IT MUST BE GOVERNMENT ISSED!)
If you are buying a pistol, in addition to the above requirements, you will need to provide proof of residency:
Common examples include:
- Carry Concealed Weapon (CCW) Permit.
- Utility Bill for a “Hard Wired” service. Example: Electric/Gas/Water/Internet (Must be current within 3 months and must be a bill for services.)
- Curio and Relic (C &R) Federal Firearms License (03 FFL) with name and address.
- Current DMV Disabled Placard.
- Current DMV Registrations.
- Resident Hunting License issued by Department of Fish and Wildlife
- Fishing License: Commercial, Resident Sport, Lifetime & 10 day licenses issued by the Department of Fish and Wildlife.
- Signed, dated and notarized rental agreement/contract.
Please reference this CA DOJ Firearms Page for more information: https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/dlrfaqs#14G
FIREARMS SAFETY CERTIFICATE
In addition to the above, most people will need a valid Firearms Safety Card. If you do not have an FSC, WBT can issue you one. YOU DO NOT NEED THIS CERTIFICATE TO MAKE A PURCHASE ONLINE!
Please Read the following study guide and be prepared to take a 30-question test. The cost for an FSC is $25. The card is good for 5 years.
Acceptable FSC exemptions:
- Active or retired military with valid ID
- Active or retired Police Officer
- Hunting License (For LONG GUNS ONLY!!)
- Valid CALIFORNIA CCW
- Exposed Weapon Permit issued by BSIS